In our experience at Wake Forest Plumbing Company, many homeowners know little about plumbing, and that often leads them to make all kinds of mistakes. We want to help you avoid common residential plumbing mishaps and offer a few tips so you’ll be better equipped to deal with or prevent plumbing issues in the future.
- Do: Use a Shower Drain Hair Catcher- A clogged shower drain is inconvenient at best and expensive to fix at worst. If your family members have long hair, a shower drain hair catcher is invaluable. It will prevent your drain from getting clogged easily and save you a lot of trouble.
- Don’t: Flush the Wrong Items- You probably know that you shouldn’t flush baby wipes, diapers, dental floss, or menstrual products down the toilet, but some of your family members may flush them anyway. Make sure everyone knows to avoid doing this, as it can clog your pipes and cause a sewage backup.
- Do: Keep an Eye on Your Water Bill- Water leaks aren’t always obvious, but you water bill can sometimes reveal them. If your water bill has skyrocketed and you don’t know why, it might be worth it to call a professional for leak detection.
- Don’t: Use Chemical Drain Cleaners- When you need to unclog a drain and you’re out of ideas, chemical drain cleaners can be tempting. However, you should avoid using these because they are highly toxic and can damage your plumbing.
- Do: Call for Repairs Right Away- If you need residential plumbing repairs, there’s no reason to procrastinate. Contact a plumber right away so you can prevent water damage and other issues.
- Don’t: Attempt DIY Repairs Without Experience- We understand the desire to save money by doing repairs on your own, but we wouldn’t recommend it. Thorough, reliable repairs require experience, so you should leave it to a licensed professional.
If you need residential plumbing services, request a quote today.